It’s that time of year again… School is starting up! A distant groan can be heard from most kids, and rejoicing from their parents. We at Simplx Security want to make sure that your children can start another school year without running into any extra problems than what their teachers will assign as homework.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind and to go over with your kids:
- Find another child in the neighborhood with whom your child can walk to school or ride with on the bus. Find a safe place where the kids can wait for the bus, away from traffic and off the street.
- If your child walks to school, consider starting a “walking school bus,” in which an adult accompanies a group of neighborhood children walking to school.
- Be sure your child has a list of phone numbers of people to call if they can’t reach you. Put it on their cell phone or on a card they can carry in their backpack or wallet. Post emergency numbers by your home telephone.
- If alternate adult supervision is not available, make special efforts to supervise your children from a distance. Consider using a Simplx Interactive enabled alarm video monitoring system to check in on them.
- Children should have a set time to arrive home and should check in with a neighbor or with a parent when they do. Simplx Interactive provides access to alarm arming/disarming history, this feature can be utilized to check when your child arrives home.
- Make sure your children know to keep the doors locked when they are home alone and whom, if anyone, they are allowed to open the door to.
- Set guidelines on who they can have over, if anyone, and what they are allowed to do, such as watch television or use the oven or stove. Use your Simplx Interactive enabled alarm video monitoring system to see if they’re following the rules.
As always, if you have any questions on how we can help secure your home or small business, please do not hesitate to send us a message on Facebook or by giving us a call directly.
Safety tips from The American Academy of Pediatrics